Calphalon is a brand of cookware that is owned by Newell Rubbermaid. It is known for its non-stick surfaces, which are made from anodized aluminum, not Teflon.
Now, if you’re wondering whether Calphalon pans can go in the dishwasher or not, you’re at the right place.
Let’s get right to it!
Can Calphalon Pans Go In The Dishwasher?
However, certain Calphalon cookware can be placed in the dishwasher provided you take due caution.
Calphalon Pans that are Dishwasher Safe (and not)
Stainless steel Calphalon cookware is considered to be dishwasher safe, but it is not recommended. However, those should not be cleaned with solvent.
The cleaning agent can damage the aluminum. Plus, other cookware and utensils in the dishwasher can also scratch the surface.
The five Calphalon stainless steel cookware that is considered dishwasher safe include:
- The Williams Sonoma Elite Nonstick.
- The Signature Nonstick.
- The Contemporary Nonstick.
- The Classic Nonstick.
- The Classic Ceramic Nonstick.
The Calphalon cookware that is NOT dishwasher safe include:
- The Classic Nonstick.
- The classic ceramic Non-stick.
- Select by Calphalon Nonstick.
- Select by Calphalon Ceramic Nonstick.
These have to be strictly hand washed.
How To Clean Calphalon Pans
Let’s have a look at some tips to clean and take care of your calphalon pans.
Restoring Damaged Non-Stick Surface
Like other cookware, Calphalon pans can also get burnt if they are left on the stove for too long. It can also get sticky with leftover food residue if it is not cleaned properly before storage.
The gunk can compromise its performance, which will change the way your food tastes. Plus, the pan may lose its shine.
To restore a Calphalon pan that sticks, use baking soda and vinegar. Mix two tablespoons of baking soda and half a cup of vinegar in a cup of water.
Pour the mixture in the pan and boil it on the stove for 15 minutes.
Then, wash the pan by hand and allow it to dry. Rub some vegetable oil on the surface to restore the non-stick surface.
Tips on Hand Washing Calphalon Cookware
- You can’t wash these delicate pans like a normal utensil or plate. Here is what you need to do. Hold the dirty pan under a stream of water and wet it inside and out. The pressure of the water should dislodge loose bits of food that are stuck on the pan. Rinse off as much as you can using hot water. Avoid cold water as it may warp the material and weaken it.
- As mentioned before, several Calphalon pans are dishwasher safe. However, hand washing is always preferable since the material can lose its luster and finish in the machine. It can also allow you to spot clean easily.
- The best way to maintain this cookware is by following the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions. If you can maintain non-stick cookware, it can last for years. It’s for the best because it doesn’t come cheap!
- Use mild detergents, which do not contain harsh chemicals for washing Calphalon pans. Plus, use a soft sponge or a soft bristle brush to scrub it. If the pan has food stuck to it, use the aforementioned stovetop technique to dislodge it. You can also use a simple washcloth. Just don’t use abrasive steel wool or metal brushes to clean it. You will ruin the finish.
- Soak extra crust Calphalon cookware in warm water. Allow it to remain there for 10 to 15 minutes before hand washing them. The pan has a smooth finish so it won’t require hours of soaking. If that doesn’t work, use the vinegar and stovetop method mentioned before.
- After you have soaked and scrubbed the pots, rinse it clean. There should be no soap or food traces left. These will dry up and stick to the pan otherwise. If the surface is still oily or sticky, repeat the cleaning process.
- Allow the clean pan to dry completely before putting it away. Use a clean tea towel to wipe it or place it upside down on the counter to air dry. The area should be well ventilated so the pan can dry quickly.
- Do not place a wet pan inside with the lid on. It will start to smell, otherwise.
- Stack each piece of the pan (such as the lid) in a dish rack vertically. This will hasten the drying process.
How To Use Calphalon Cookware Safely
Below are some tips to make sure you get the best out of your calphalon pans:
Preheating Calphalon Cookware
Before adding fat, such as or butter or oil, preheat the pan. However, don’t use a high heat setting from the get-go. Start with a medium one and adjust it if necessary. You should only use high heat to boil water.
The medium setting is perfect for frying, sautéing, and searing meat. It can also be used to reduce sauces and for pancakes or omelets. Similarly, use the low heat setting to warm up food or simmer delicate sauces.
However, even the best home cooks can make mistakes and burn the pan. Here is a simple test to determine if it is hot enough for sautéing.
Just add some butter. If it starts to bubble without burning, the pan is at the perfect temperature. If the butter starts to turn brown instantly, shut off the heat immediately. The pan should be allowed to cool down before a second attempt.
Before adding food to the hot pan, allow the butter or oil to heat up a bit. If you are using a non-stick pan, do not use a spray-on cooking spray. It may leave a residue and will build upon the surface over time. The film can be difficult to remove and it can damage the non-stick surface as well.
This cookware is designed to reduce the amount of oil you should use. To keep it to a minimum, use an oil mister instead.
You can also wipe the surface with an oil-soaked paper towel. No need to make it super oily. It will be difficult to clean, otherwise.
Using Calphalon in the Oven/Boiler
Preheat the oven to about 450°F before popping the Calphalon pan inside the oven. However, it is not safe to use in the broiler.
Plus, always use oven mitts or a pot-holder to take out the pan from the oven. The aluminum handles can heat up and cause nasty burns on contact.
Also, use caution if you are using it on the stove, especially cookware that has short handles. The persistent heat will heat up the handles fast.
Related: How to Tell if a Pan is Oven-Safe?
Sadly, your favorite stainless steel spatula will damage this cookware. Use only plastic, nylon, or wooden utensils instead.
The material is blunt enough to prevent scratches to the non-stick finish. The good news is that the brand offers a variety of options that can be used with non-stick cookware.
Besides steel utensils, do not use appliances or mixers in the cookware. Besides damaging the non-stick coating, you will also void the warranty. Each piece of Calphalon cookware comes with a safety manual so the fault will be yours.
The cookware is gorgeous and any damage it sustains will ruin its beauty. Be extra careful and leave food from the refrigerator for 10 minutes before cooking it in the pan. Chilled food has more chances of sticking to the hot cookware.
What is Hard Anodization?
Hard anodization is an electro-chemical procedure that strengthens the aluminum used to make these pans. The process makes it harder compared to ordinary aluminum.
This makes it suitable for cooking purposes and makes it last longer. It is the main reason why Calphalon pans are the sturdiest cookware you can buy.
Even though the process involves the chemical treatment, there is nothing to worry about. The anodization process is stable so there is no chemical residue on the pans. Additionally, these will not get damaged under high heat.
The process also makes the surface super smooth compared to other pans. That’s because it eliminates pores, which makes the pans non-stick.
No matter how careful you are, your Calphalon cookware will lose its sheen and coat eventually. However, you will have to buy new ones.
The brand will not replace them. It only replaces products that are made from defective materials. This includes cookware that gets damaged even if it was washed according to the cleaning instructions.
If the cookware was damaged due to irresponsible use, neglect, alteration, or abuse, the company will not replace it.
Imperfections and surface marks due to shipping are also considered normal. If your request is accepted, you will have to bear the shipping costs.
However, a discontinued piece cannot be replaced – the company will replace it with one that closely resembles it.
If the cookware has no defect, it will be returned along with a letter stating the reason. Most of the cookware comes with a lifetime warranty. However, some Calphalon offerings come with only 10, such as its pots and pans.
The Bottom Line
If you want to improve as a chef, you need Calphalon cookware in your kitchen. Treat them with the respect they deserve and they will last for years.
Even though some can be washed in the dishwasher, hand washing is ALWAYS preferable. Plus, they are designed to fit against one another for easy stacking and storage. Think of all of the counter space you will save!
The brand offers a variety of cookware for every need. Be a responsible owner and take care of them as per the tips mentioned here.
Other cooking pans related articles you may find useful: